Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mind over matter

In spite of my passable aptitude for cooking, I have always been intimidated by rotis, when I am solely responsible for making it from scratch. I have helped others make rotis (mainly flipping while they roll) but just the thought of kneading the dough, rolling and roasting (in parallel, that too) is overwhelming. One fine day (a few days ago), I decided that this is simply a 'mental issue' that can and should be overcome - I love rotis! ;)

I worked on my attitude first. Roti might be a 'simple', everyday dish for majority of Indians, but it is still challenging to make if you don't have practice. So, I started out telling myself that it is a hard task but I could do it, if I followed a methodical process and didn't get frustrated during the process. However, if I managed to screw up, it was OK. I could always try again tomorrow. Here goes my process ....

I took 2 cups wheat flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tbsp oil in a bowl and mixed these for a few seconds. Added about half a cup of warm water (in two installments) and just mixed it to make a non-sticky mass. I know... looks weird but hang on!


I left this dough covered for a little over half an hour. Then, I kneaded the dough to make a nice, pliable mass.


Made little balls(!) out of the dough and rolled each one out. I am not exactly proud of the shape but I am not ashamed enough to not post the picture!


I, of course, wanted to capture the roasting of the roti as well but I had to take a call between a picture and a unburnt meal. The obvious option won.


Oh, and I am having this with a whole moong - chana dal curry. One difference was - I soaked the chana dal along with the whole moong overnight, since I am a little afraid of chana induced indigestion.

More than just getting over my cook's block, I am extremely happy about the timing. Today is a special day (not for bloggable reasons) and I couldn't have chosen a better day to let go of my roti demon. Yay!

PS: By the way, I am a camera phobe and still picking up the reins of using the most basic point and shoot features (another potential mind over matter issue but for later)

Update: Though I was happy with getting over my phobia, I was not completely happy with the output. It was nowhere close to as soft as it could or should be :) I think I have figured out what was wrong. In my anxiety to not make the dough sticky, I have in fact been using too little water. Today, for 3 cups of flour, I added close to 1 cup water and the resulting rotis were W.A.Y. better.

4 comments:

Rohini said...

I went through this a while ago. I managed everything but I still can't do the dough kneading part very well. If someone else makes the dough, I can maker passable rotis.

RDX said...

I find the parallel rolling out + roasting difficult. I get worried about burning the roti that I end up focusing on that without rolling out at all!

Rohini said...

Oh I can't do parallel. Have to roll, roast, put in hot dish and then start the next one. Most tedious!

Mona said...

haha, can i give you guys a tip? i can't do the two together either, so what i do is roll out cling film or newspaper and roll ALL the rotis out and lay them on it.
cook at one go.
:D