Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The path to marital bliss ....

is littered with gems such as:

- In the partner requirements section of one matrimony profile - "Must take care of self and parents."

- At a "bride seeing" event - the "girl" comes in on request and sits down next to "Aunty". "Aunty" opens the conversation, "My elder DIL never sits down in front of me."

- Comment by the "boy's" mother on seeing the "girl's" picture - "Your daughter seems to be the chamathu* type. That won't work for my son."

- Conversation between the two sets of parents -

"We like the girl a lot. Go ahead and fix a date for the betrothal."

:genuine surprise: "But, you have just met her. Your son has not even met her."

:genuine surprise, again: "So?"

*Ram-ek-achchha-ladka-hai types for Hindi speakers. I don't think there is a perfect English equivalent. For obvious reasons :P Best I can come up with is overly-obedient-and-simple type.

No comments: